US - NJ - Newark
- Business Consultant
- 2 to 3 months contract
- This position is responsible for managing the maintenance, upgrading, and 24 X 7 support of the environmental controls (electrical, Uninterruptable Power Supply, battery backup systems, cooling, HVAC and emergency backup generation) for the IT data centers and IT WAN / LAN rooms throughout the client.
- Responsible for oversight of the maintenance of the environmental control systems (, battery, generator, electrical, HVAC) for the IT telecommunication and data center facilities.
- The ability to recognize system faults and respond to operational and emergency situations for the IT rooms in the client network
- Responsible for the planning, design, and implementation of projects relating to the installation of IT supported systems such as mechanical and electrical infrastructure. Provide expert consultation and be the technical lead for both design, development and support of data center and facility related projects.
- Participate in, develop, monitor and adhere to the operating budgets for the facility related projects and maintenance activities
- Develop a 5 year Life Cycle Plan in support of IT and client goals to meet the system availability target.
- Responsible for the development, documentation and monitoring of adherence of operational compliance as required (i.e., physical security, OSHA, audits, EPA permit requirements).
- Conduct, coordinate, and oversee routine preventive maintenance activities in support of the environmental, electrical and HVAC systems.
- Ensure that outside vendors and contractors receive and maintain appropriate safety and security training, and that they have necessary access to facilities to repair and maintain systems
- Participate with vendors and common carriers during problem analysis/resolution as required.
- Prepare and maintain standard operating procedures for the IT rooms, and data center technical specifications and documents, drawings and system documentation, and operating manuals.
- Participate in the evaluation of vendor proposals and the benefits of changes in hardware, environmental controls, HVAC, electrical, UPS, and in the procurement of software and equipment.
- Review access reports for personnel requiring physical access to IT facilities
- Provide telephonic and/or on-site support on facility-related issues and concerns for client business units
- Perform related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related technical discipline; or certificate or licensing of one or more of the following (licensed electrician, HVAC, or CFC) and at least a minimum of 3 years’ experience with facility related systems. Without a degree or certification, candidate must have a minimum of 6 years’ experience with heating and ventilation systems, UPS/generator systems and/or electrical installation and design work.
- Knowledge of air cooled/air-side economizers, water cooled and closed loop cooling systems.
- Knowledge of hot/cold air containment practices and efficiency models used in data center facilities.
- Ability to direct, plan and forecast work activities with minimal disruption to the client systems.
- Ability to develop extended Life Cycle Plans for equipment upgrades and refresh as well as assemble data to determine maintenance plans
- Knowledge of standards, codes, and regulations pertaining to maintenance of structures and facilities.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with client and IT management, staff and vendors.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently to perform the necessary functions in support of the facility systems
- Firm understanding of safe work practices
- Good analytical skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass qualifications for NERC CIP regulation.
Desired Skills, Competencies, Education or Experience:
- Knowledge of financial and budgeting practices.
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, SharePoint and Visio.
- Good customer service skills.